Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. To fill something or some place with a foul odor. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stink" and "up." Tom, your tuna sandwich is stinking up the office! Please go eat it somewhere else! Please don't stink the house up with your smoking—if you have to do it, go outside.
2. To give a very poor or poorly received performance in some location. A noun or pronoun can be used between "stink" and "up." Hopefully this awful play won't be stinking up theaters for much longer. I've never seen them play so poorly. They're really stinking the place up tonight.
stink to high heaven
1. To have a very strong unpleasant scent. Can you take this trash out? It stinks to high heaven. Ugh, something in this refrigerator stinks to high heaven!
2. To be or seem extremely disreputable, suspicious, or corrupt. This deal between the company and the mayor's office stinks to high heaven, if you ask me. This town stank to high heaven before I came in and brought some law and order to it.
stink something up
to make something or some place smell very bad. Your cooking really stunk the place up! The rotten eggs will stink up the whole house.
stink to high heavenand smell to high heaven
Fig. to smell very bad. What happened? This place stinks to high heaven. This meat smells to high heaven. Throw it away!
stink to high heaven
Also, smell to high heaven. Be of very poor quality; also, be suspect or in bad repute. For example, This plan of yours stinks to high heaven, or His financial schemes smell to high heaven; I'm sure they're dishonest. This expression alludes to something so rank that it can be smelled from a great distance. [c. 1600]
stink (or smell) to high heavenhave a very strong and unpleasant odour.
1. To cause something to have a strong foul odor: The garbage is stinking up the kitchen. Keep your shoes on so you don't stink the car up with your smelly feet!
2. To perform very poorly in some place: The movie is stinking up theaters across the US. That band really stunk the joint up last night.