stain(redirected from staining)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to staining: Gram staining
1. rude slang A stupid person. Don't listen to a fool like him, he's just a shit stain.
2. rude slang Literally, a mark left by excrement. We need to rip up these carpets—they're covered in shit stains from grandpa's dog.
stain something with something
1. to cause a blemish or blotch on something with something. (Usually an accident.) Judy stained the carpet with some grape juice. You will stain your clothing with that food if you drop any of it.
2. to affect the coloring of something through the use of a chemical stain. (A purposeful act, much the same as painting.) Walter stained the house with a long-lasting reddish stain. We decided to stain the doors with a special varnish rather than paint them.
3. Fig. to injure or blemish someone's reputation. They stained his reputation with their charges. I don't want to do anything that would stain my reputation.
See also: stain