Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A ghost or spirit, especially one that is or seems malicious. Primarily heard in US. My grandfather says this old house is filled with all manner of spooks, but I don't believe in that sort of thing.
2. slang An undercover intelligence agent; a spy. Primarily heard in US. I worked as a spook in that country for nearly 40 years, gathering intel on every aspect of the government's operations. Everyone knows there are spooks in our country, just like we have spooks countries all over the world.
3. offensive slang A derogatory term for a black person. Primarily heard in US.
4. verb To startle, unnerve, or unsettle someone or something. Sorry, I didn't mean to spook you! Something in these woods has spooked the horses. I can barely keep them under control! The company's downward revision of their expected sales seems to have spooked investors, as stock prices dropped by nearly 4 points this morning.
The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). "Spook" is a slang term for an undercover intelligence agent or spy. The 25-year-old from Wisconsin quickly came to be one of the top agents to come out of the spook factory. After 30 years of service in the field, I'm looking to fall back on a cushy administrative job back at the spook factory.
spook someone or something
to startle or disorient someone or something. A snake spooked my horse, and I nearly fell off. Your warning spooked me, and I was upset for the rest of the day.
1. tv. to frighten or startle someone or something. (see also spooked.) Something I did spooked the teller, and she set off the silent alarm.
2. n. a spy; a CIA (U.S. Central Intelligence Agency) agent. I just learned that my uncle had been a spook for years.
n. the CIA (U.S. Central Intelligence Agency) near Washington, D.C., where spies are said to be trained. Tom got a job in the spook factory.
mod. frightened or startled. The guy looked sort of spooked. He was sweating and panting like someone had scared him to death.
See also: spook