sizzle(redirected from sizzlingly)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
all sizzle and no steak
Disappointing or anticlimactic. Having an exciting, promising, important, or aggrandizing buildup that proves to be unwarranted. Everyone is in a panic over the supposed water shortages, but personally I think the whole thing is all sizzle and no steak. The film had a lot of hype before its release, but after seeing it, I think it's all sizzle and no steak.
1. noun, slang A great deal of excitement or interest. There has been a lot of sizzle in the scientific community regarding the potential of this recent discovery. You've got to really create a lot of sizzle when you market your product.
2. verb, slang To be executed in an electric chair. At least we know that murdering scum is going to sizzle for what he did!
3. verb, slang To become sunburned. I could feel myself starting to sizzle, so I moved my towel under one of the large umbrellas dotted around the beach. Make sure you wear your sunscreen. I don't want any of you sizzling out in that hot sun!
1. slang Moderately drunk. I wasn't expecting to feel sizzled after just one beer, but then I saw that it was 8% alcohol per volume. We all sat out on the patio getting sizzled on margaritas and laughing about the good old days.
2. slang Sunburned. I could feel myself starting to get sizzled, so I moved my towel under one of the large umbrellas dotted around the beach. Make sure you wear your sunscreen! I don't want any of you coming home sizzled like a sausage, OK?
See also: sizzle
sizzle a wild card word for words beginning with
S , such as suck, smoke, sister. (Streets. Also for other words with initial S.) Come on, sizzle, time to go.
mod. alcohol intoxicated. (see also fried.) I’d like to go out tonight and get sizzled—maybe that would help me forget Tiffany. Harold got himself sizzled and couldn’t drive to the dance.
See also: sizzle