show off(redirected from show something off)
1. verb To act or perform in a conspicuously ostentatious or showy manner in order to gain the attention of others. Our son always likes to show off when we have guests over. Yes, we know you're a good dribbler, but you don't have to show off so much during the game.
2. verb To display a person, thing, or ability of which one is very proud, perhaps as a means of seeking attention. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "show" and "off." The couple has been going around to friends and family members showing off their new baby girl. I've lost a lot of weight over the winter, and I'm looking forward to showing my new body off at the beach this summer. My dad never misses an opportunity to show off his skills on the piano.
3. noun Someone who acts or performs in a conspicuously ostentatious or showy manner in order to gain the attention of others. As a noun, the phrase is usually hyphenated or spelled as one word. Our son becomes a bit of a showoff when we have guests over. Yes, we know you're a good dribbler, but don't be such a showoff during the game.
show someone or something off
to display someone or something so that the best features are apparent. Bill drove around all afternoon showing his new car off. Mrs. Williams was showing off her baby to the neighbors.
to do things in a way that is meant to attract attention. Please stop showing off! You embarrass me. John is always showing off to his girlfriend.
Display in an ostentatious, conspicuous way; also, seek attention by displaying one's accomplishments, abilities, or possessions. For example, I'm wearing shorts to show off my Florida tan, or Karen loved showing off her new baby to her friends, or There's no need to show off, Fred; we all know you're a good dancer. [Early 1800s]
1. To display one's ability, beauty, or status in a showy way, so as to attract attention and impress others: The students were doing handstands to show off for the coaches.
2. To display some possession or attribute in a showy way, so as to attract attention and impress others: I wore tight clothing to show off my figure. They are very wealthy, and they show it off with expensive cars.