Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Sl. to take drugs by injection. Wallace was caught by the cops shooting up in the high school rest room.
1. to increase very quickly in size or amount The boy shot up two inches over the summer. Temperatures shot up into the mid-90s today. With new technology, productivity shot up.
2. to rise quickly and forcefully Flames were shooting up from the burning house.
shoot up somethingalso shoot something up
1. (slang) to take an illegal drug by using a needle Some athletes are suspected of shooting up steroids to improve their strength.
Usage notes: also used in the form shoot someone up (give someone a drug by using a needle): Jim was the first one to shoot me up with heroin.
Etymology: based on the medical meaning of give a shot (give medicine using a needle)
2. to fire guns, causing great damage to a place Old western movies usually have a scene where some bad guys ride in and shoot up the town.
1. Grow or get taller very rapidly, as in She's really shot up in the last year, and now she's taller than her mother. [First half of 1500s]
2. Riddle with bullets; damage or terrorize with gunfire. For example, I liked the scene in which the cowboy stomps into the saloon, gets drunk, and shoots the place up . [Late 1800s]
3. Inject a drug intravenously, especially an illegal drug. For example, The police caught him shooting up and arrested him. [Slang; first half of 1900s]
1. To increase dramatically in amount: The stock shot up after the merger was announced.
2. To grow or get taller rapidly: Your daughter has really shot up since I last saw her.
3. To riddle someone or something with bullets: The sharpshooter shot up the target. Some gangsters drove by with machine guns and shot him up.
4. To damage or terrorize something, such as a town, by intense or random gunfire: The bandits got drunk and shot up the town. The gangsters shot the bar up when the owner refused to pay them.
5. Slang To inject oneself with a drug using a hypodermic needle: There were drug addicts shooting up in the hallway.
6. Slang To inject a drug into someone using a hypodermic needle: The nurse shot up the patient with a sedative. They shot her up with morphine.