shoot (someone or something) up(redirected from shoot someone up)
shoot (someone or something) up
To shoot someone or something repeatedly; to riddle someone or something with bullets. The suspect began wielding a knife, but police shot him up before he could attack anyone. The kids stole their dad's handgun and started shooting up the side of an old barn in the field behind their house.
1. To grow, rise, or increase very quickly or dramatically. Wow, you kids have really shot up since you were here last summer! Stocks in the company shot up when they announced the impressive sales figures for their latest product. Rental prices have started shooting up in this area over the last couple of years.
2. slang To use recreational drugs intravenously, especially heroin. This is a nasty part of town; you can find someone shooting up around just about every corner.
Sl. to take drugs by injection. Wallace was caught by the cops shooting up in the high school rest room.
1. Grow or get taller very rapidly, as in She's really shot up in the last year, and now she's taller than her mother. [First half of 1500s]
2. Riddle with bullets; damage or terrorize with gunfire. For example, I liked the scene in which the cowboy stomps into the saloon, gets drunk, and shoots the place up . [Late 1800s]
3. Inject a drug intravenously, especially an illegal drug. For example, The police caught him shooting up and arrested him. [Slang; first half of 1900s]
1. To increase dramatically in amount: The stock shot up after the merger was announced.
2. To grow or get taller rapidly: Your daughter has really shot up since I last saw her.
3. To riddle someone or something with bullets: The sharpshooter shot up the target. Some gangsters drove by with machine guns and shot him up.
4. To damage or terrorize something, such as a town, by intense or random gunfire: The bandits got drunk and shot up the town. The gangsters shot the bar up when the owner refused to pay them.
5. Slang To inject oneself with a drug using a hypodermic needle: There were drug addicts shooting up in the hallway.
6. Slang To inject a drug into someone using a hypodermic needle: The nurse shot up the patient with a sedative. They shot her up with morphine.