Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to shack up: shack up with someone
shack up (with someone)
Inf. to sleep or live with someone temporarily in a sexual relationship. They shacked up for over a year until her parents found out and stopped sending her money.
shack up (with somebody)(slang)
to live with and have a sexual relationship with someone you are not married to I was surprised to hear you're shacking up with Kathy.Related vocabulary: set up housekeeping
1. Sleep together or live in sexual intimacy without being married. For example, They had been dating for two months and then decided to shack up. [Slang; first half of 1900s]
2. Stay or reside with, as in I'm shacking up with my cousin till I find a place of my own. [Slang; first half of 1900s]
1. To live, room, or stay at some place: She's shacking up at her cousin's house until she finds a place of her own.
2. To sleep together or live in sexual intimacy with someone without being married: There's a rumor that the professor is shacking up with one of his colleagues. Do you know if they are shacking up together?
1. To live together and have sexual relations without being married.
2. To live, room, or stay at a place: I'm shacking up with my cousin till I find a place of my own.