send (one) off(redirected from send someone off)
send (one) off
1. To tell or order someone to leave or go home. There weren't any customers, so I sent the staff off early. I offered to help, but he just sent me off.
2. To send someone some place in order to do or retrieve something. I didn't feel like cooking tonight, so I sent the kids off to pick up a pizza. My parents are sending me off to summer camp to get some exercise and fresh air.
3. To give someone good wishes before a departure; to bid someone farewell. I got really emotional when all my friends arrived to send me off at the end of the summer. We're all going to the airport to send Jeffrey off tomorrow.
4. To remove someone from a sporting event. The coach sent me off after I started cursing at the referee.
send someone off (to something)
to send someone away to something or some place, especially away on a journey; to be present when someone sets out on a journey to something or some place. We sent both kids off to camp this summer and had peace in the house for the first time in years. Liz sent Karen off to the store.
send something off (to someone or something)
to dispatch something to someone, something, or some place. I will send the package off to you in tomorrow's mail. Karen sent off a letter to her aunt.
1. To release or submit something, especially by mail or by electronic means: I sent off my application last week. I put a stamp on the letter and sent it off.
2. To order someone to leave in order to do something or to attend some event or place: The managers ordered a pizza and sent off an assistant to pick it up. My parents sent me off to boarding school when I was only ten years old.
3. To assist or be present at someone's departure: When I retired, my coworkers sent me off with a big party. A crowd gathered at the train station to send off the politician.
4. send off for To send a request for something, especially by mail: The mechanic sent off for a replacement part.
5. Sports To eject someone from a game, especially for a flagrant violation of the rules: The referee stopped the game and sent off two of the players for fighting. The umpire sent me off after I threw my tennis racket into the crowd.