Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to scratch: Scratch games
1. n. money. I just don’t have the scratch.
2. tv. to eliminate something from a list; to cancel something. We decided to scratch the idea of a new car. The old one will have to do.
3. mod. impromptu; temporary. (see also pickup.) We started a scratch game of basketball, but most of the girls had to leave at dinnertime.
- (one's) (hand)writing is like chicken scratch
- be up to scratch
- from scratch
- have (hand)writing like chicken scratch
- like tryin' to scratch your ear with your elbow
- not up to scratch and not up to snuff
- scratch (someone or something) together
- scratch about
- scratch at
- scratch away
- scratch back
- scratch from
- scratch head
- scratch off
- scratch one's head
- scratch out
- scratch sheet
- scratch someone's back
- scratch that
- scratch the surface
- scratch up
- start from scratch
- up to par
- up to scratch
- You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours