bump into(redirected from run into someone)
bump into someoneand run into someone
1. Lit. to move inadvertently or crash into someone. Excuse me. I didn't mean to bump into you. The child on the bicycle nearly bumped into me.
2. Fig. to chance on someone; to meet someone by chance. (Not normally with physical contact.) Guess who I bumped into downtown today? I ran into Bill Jones yesterday.
bump into somebody/something
to unexpectedly meet someone or find something Last week, Jill bumped into an old college friend she hadn't seen in years. The story is about an amateur detective who lives in Maine and has an amazing ability to bump into real-life murder stories.
1. Also, bump against. Collide, come in contact with; same as bang into. For example, It's easy to bump into furniture in the dark. [Mid-1800s]
2. Encounter, meet by chance, as in While I was downtown, I bumped into George. [Colloquial; 1880s] Also see run into.
1. To collide with someone or something accidentally: I wasn't looking where I was going and bumped into a garbage can.
2. To encounter someone or something by chance: I often bump into my friends at the grocery store.