revolve(redirected from revolving)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to revolving: revolving fund, Revolving credit facility, Revolving Loan
A cycle in which employees do not remain in a position for more than a short amount of time before they leave, thus requiring the position to be filled frequently. Likened to a revolving door in front of a building where people can come and go at the same time. Primarily heard in US. Because public sector jobs typically cannot pay as much as private sector jobs, many positions become revolving doors.
revolving door syndrome
1. In psychiatry, a patient's pattern of repeated admissions to psychiatric facilities. Since Penny is back here yet again, we need to devise a different treatment plan for her, to try and stop this revolving door syndrome.
2. The behavior exhibited by adult children who can no longer afford to live on their own and thus return home to live with their parents. My son is living with me once again and, given his disinterest in steady employment, I doubt this revolving door syndrome will ever end!
revolve around someone or somethingand revolve about someone or something
1. Lit. to spin or move around someone or something. Do you think that the whole world revolves around you? The moon revolves about the earth.
2. Fig. [for people or things] to center upon someone or something or to be primarily concerned with someone or something. The way all of this is going to turn out revolves around Bob. The success of the picnic revolves around the weather.
a revolving door(mainly American)
the movement of people from one organization or activity to another, especially from government jobs to private companies (often + between ) Congress has tightened regulations to slow down the revolving door between government and industry.
1. To orbit around something: The planets revolve around the sun.
2. To be primarily concerned with something: This discussion will revolve around the causes of the problem. Not everything revolves around you, so stop thinking of yourself all the time!