reside(redirected from resides)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to resides: presides
some place to dwell in some place. I reside in a small apartment in the center of town. The Wilsons resided in a large house on a hill.
reside in someone or something
to be a property or characteristic of someone or something. I never knew such anger could reside in such a calm person. The finest acoustics that can be found in the world reside in this hall.
1. To dwell in some place permanently or for an extended period; live in some place: I resided in Chicago during the 1990s.
2. To be inherent in something or someone; exist in something or someone: These teaching methods will unleash the enormous potential that resides in these children.
3. To be vested in something or someone, as a power or right: By the authority that resides in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife.
1. To dwell in the same house or premises with someone permanently or for an extended period: My mother resides with us during the winter.
2. To be vested in something or someone, as a power or right: In the end, the final decision resides with my supervisor.