References in periodicals archive ?
The master of the witty put-down was Winston Churchill, whose catalogue of catty comments was far richer than his famous retort to a woman who condemned him for being drunk.
In America during the 1990s, one of the most childish, and entertaining, forms of put-down was created on the streets and then immortalised in scores of teen movies.
Politicians and celebrities alike are keeping catty comments off-the-record, leaving club culture and the next generation to create a new style of put-downs.
These days the art of parliamentary put-downs has mostly been replaced with political spin and politicians prefer to take their potshots at each other in the press and on lobby terms.
What emerges from a careful reading is a shrewd woman whose frequent sarcasm and deprecation--directed at herself and at others--seem to be in part a reaction to suffering a lifetime of quiet put-downs.
To guard against this type of put-down, try at all times to listen to your staff members and show that you are interested in them--make an effort particularly when you have a lot of things on your mind that could preoccupy you.
They don't realize that a put-down doesn't have to be abusive.
Because of this, threats are a particularly harmful kind of put-down.
On a percentage-of-content basis, Spy is more fully devoted to the put-down than any other American periodical.
But Spy's enforcement of the meritocratic code dissolves, finally, into an elaborate put-down game meant to signal superior taste to everyone-and most particularly to other members of the meritocracy, who worry greatly that they, too, will be exposed as lacking.
The offensiveness of the object of the put-down is meant to be self-evident, though it often is not.
The effects of the put-down and the pose can be grave.
And for any girl on the receiving end of attention from an unwanted suitor, RACHEL DOBSON has got some ego-crushing put-downs certain to rout any Romeo.
Idioms browser ?
- put/lay your head/neck on the block
- put/place a premium on something
- put/set somebody at ease
- put/set somebody right
- put/set somebody straight
- put/set somebody to work
- put/set somebody's mind at ease/rest
- put/set something in motion
- put/set something to rights
- put/set store by something
- put/set the cat among the pigeons
- put/set the record straight
- put/set your house in order
- put/set/place somebody on a pedestal
- put/set/turn your mind to something
- put/stick the boot in
- put/stick the knife in
- put/stick two fingers up at somebody
- put/stick your oar in
- put/throw a spanner in the works
- put/throw somebody off the scent
- put/throw your weight behind something
- put/turn something to good account
- put/turn the clock back
- put/turn/send somebody out to grass
- puts (one's) trousers on one leg at a time (just like everybody else)
- putt along
- putter around
- putting on the Ritz
- putty in (one's) hands
- putty in hands
- putty in somebody's hands
- putty in someone's hands
- putty in your hands
- put-up job
- putz around
- puzzle out
- puzzle out (something)
- puzzle over
- puzzle over (someone or something)
Full browser ?
- put your trousers on one leg at a time just like you and I
- Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry
- put your weight behind
- put your weight behind something
- put your, their, etc. heads together
- put yourself across
- put yourself at ease
- put yourself at your ease
- put yourself in her place
- put yourself in her shoes
- Put Yourself in His Place
- put yourself in his shoes
- Put Yourself in My Place
- Put Yourself in My Place
- Put Yourself in My Shoes
- put yourself in somebody's place
- put yourself in somebody's shoes
- put yourself in somebody's shoes/place
- put yourself in someone else's place
- put yourself in someone else's shoes
- put yourself in someone's place
- put yourself in someone's shoes
- put yourself in their place
- put yourself in their shoes
- put yourself on the line
- put yourself out
- Put-call parity
- Put-call parity relationship
- Put-call ratio
- Put-Call Ratios
- Put-In Bay
- Put-in-Bay, Ohio
- put-up job
- put-up jobs
- Put-Write Index