Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. To do something, such as signing in or stamping a time card, to officially record the end of a shift or day of work. A noun, pronoun, or reflexive pronoun can be used between "punch" and "out." We'd like to remind all employees to punch out at the end of their shifts. Failing to do so can cause delays in payroll. Sarah's going to stay behind for a little while, so she asked me to punch her out. I keep forgetting to punch myself out when I'm the one closing the restaurant.
2. To render someone unconscious with a punch. A noun or pronoun can be used between "punch" and "out." A: "Oh man, what happened?" B: "Well, you and Bart were fighting, and then Bart punched you out." I swear I'll punch out anyone who tries to mess with you. Sarah punched him out when she found out he'd been stealing from her.
punch someone out
Sl. to overcome or beat someone by punching. He threatened to punch me out. The thug punched out the cop and ran down an alley.
to record that one has left one's workplace at a certain time. Why didn't you punch out when you left last night? I punched out at the regular time.
1. Record one's time of departure from work, as in We never punch out at exactly five o'clock. This usage, dating from the 1920s, alludes to the use of a time clock. Also see punch in, def. 1.
2. Eject from a military aircraft, as in The pilot punched out just before the plane blew up. [Slang; 1960s]
1. To check out formally from a job upon departure, especially by stamping the departure time on a timecard: If we punch out after 5:00, the company has to pay us for overtime.
2. To knock someone unconscious with a punch: The thief punched out the security guards and broke into the safe. He punched me out, and when I woke up, I was lying on the ground.
3. Slang To eject from a military aircraft: The pilots punched out just before the missile struck their plane.
punch someone out
tv. to knock someone out. (see also punch someone’s lights out.) The thug punched out the cop and ran down an alley.