puff and blow
puff and blow
1. To breathe very heavily or laboriously. Running to catch the bus has left me puffing and blowing. You really should quit smoking—look at how you're puffing and blowing after a single flight of stairs!
2. To be blusterously angry or make disgruntled, empty threats. The boss likes to puff and blow when things don't go right, but don't pay too much attention to him. My parents puffed and blew when I told them I was dropping out, but in the end they came to respect my decision.
Sl. to ruin or waste something. I had a chance to do it, but I blew it. He blew the whole five dollars on candy.
ˌpuff and ˈpant/ˈblow(informal) breathe quickly and loudly through your mouth after physical effort: Eventually, puffing and panting, he arrived at the gate.
1. tv. & in. to leave (someplace) in a hurry. (see also blow town, blow the joint.) It’s late. I gotta blow.
2. tv. to ruin something; to ruin an opportunity. It was my last chance, and I blew it.
3. n. a setback; an attack. Acme Systems Industries suffered a blow to its plans to acquire ABC Steel Widgets.
4. tv. to waste money; to spend money. Mary blew forty bucks on a secondhand radio.
5. in. to become very angry; to lose one’s temper. (see also blow a fuse.) Finally I had had enough, and I blew.
6. in. to play a musical instrument, not necessarily a wind instrument. He blows, and everybody listens.
7. and blow-out n. a drinking party. What a blow over at Joe’s. I’ll never get sober. We blew out of the blow-out at about midnight.
8. tv. to snort any powdered drug; to take snuff. (Drugs.) Those guys spend all their time blowing coke.
9. in. to smoke marijuana. (Drugs.) He sits there blowing by the hour. How can he afford it?
10. n. cocaine. (Drugs.) You can get some good blow over at that crack house.
11. tv. to perform an act of oral sex on someone, especially males. (Usually objectionable.) Tom was looking for some bone addict who would blow him for nothing.
To get a sudden, insurmountable lead in (an athletic contest).
blow/toot (one's) own horn Informal
To brag or boast about oneself.
blow (one's)top/stack Informal
To lose one's temper.