Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A man devoted to using a specific set of strategies in order to seduce ("pick up") women, and who perhaps instructs other men in how to do the same. You know how everyone tells you to just be yourself when talking to a girl? Well, a pick-up artist will tell you to do the opposite.
See also: artist
1. n. something eaten or drunk to boost energy; a pick-me-up. Bartender, I need a little pickup.
2. n. a sudden increase in something, such as speed or tempo in music. There will be a pickup in sales during the Christmas season.
3. mod. spontaneous; unplanned. (see also scratch.) A pickup game can be fun if the sides are evenly matched.
4. n. an arrest. (Underworld.) Send Sergeant Townsend out to make the pickup.
5. n. someone whose acquaintance is made solely for sexual purposes. She’s no date. She’s just a pickup.
6. n. the power of a car’s engine as reflected in the car’s ability to reach a high speed quickly. Little cars hardly ever have enough pickup.