Also found in: Dictionary.
1. An exclamation of annoyance, frustration, exasperation, or disdain. Ah, phooey! I was hoping to be the one the teacher picked! A: "No, you can't keep the book!" B: "Phooey—you keep it then, I don't care."
2. Foolish nonsense or untruthful rubbish. A: "He said he couldn't afford to come." B: "What a bunch of phooey—he's got more money to burn than you or me put together!" They said the city's housing crisis was starting to abate, but anyone earning less than a six-figure salary can see that that's phooey.
3. An exclamation of disgust or revulsion from a very strong and unpleasant odor. (Pronounced with a slightly longer emphasis on the vowels than in Definitions 1 or 2.) Phooey! Who farted in here? A: "I bought some great French cheese at the farmer's market." B: "Phooey—that stuff stinks!"
1. n. nonsense. I’ve heard enough fooey. Let’s get out of here.
2. exclam. an expression of disgust, disagreement, or resignation. (Usually Phooey! or Fooey! Used typically when something smells or tastes bad.) Who died in here? Phooey!