pass down(redirected from pass something on)
pass something down (to someone)and pass something on (to someone)
1. to send something down a line of people to someone. (Each person hands it to the next.) Please pass this down to Mary at the end of the row. Pass down this box to Mary.
2. to will something to someone. My grandfather passed this watch down to me. He passed on the watch to me.
1. To transfer something from a higher level to a lower one: I passed the can of paint down to my friend who was painting the window. The main office passes down simple requests to our help department.
2. To transfer something to the next member of a sequence: Each player takes one card and passes it down to the next player.
3. To bestow something to someone, especially a younger relative: I passed down my old clothes to my younger sister. My parents passed a strong work ethic down to all of my brothers and sisters.