Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A place where free accommodation is provided on a temporary basis. Because of our spare bedroom, our house has become something of a crash pad for visiting friends and family.
pad (one's)/the accounts
To make one's financial accounts appear more successful, stable, or secure than they really are, as by fraudulently concealing losses or by reporting false profits. Once the company's fraud came to light, it was quickly discovered that they had padded their accounts for years. Mark had taken to padding his accounts in the company to hide the losses from his husband's excessive spending habits.
pad (one's)/the expense account
To make unnecessary or fraudulent charges to one's company expense accounts for one's personal use. Have you been padding your expense account, Johnson? You're going to have to explain some of these mysterious out-of-state charges.
A financial account that has been made to appear more successful, stable, or secure, as by fraudulently concealing losses or by reporting false profits. Once the company's fraud came to light, it was quickly discovered that Tom had been keeping padded accounts for years.
(hyphenated if before a noun) Of a portly figure; fleshy or fat. I used to be rather skinny in my youth, but when I hit middle age, I grew rather well padded. I fell off my bike this morning, but luckily my well-padded bottom broke my fall!
on the pad
Accepting bribes. A phrase typically said of police officers. He's made some very uncharacteristic decisions lately, which makes me wonder if he's on the pad.
pad (something) out
To fill something with cheaper or unnecessary material in order to make it appear fuller, larger, or longer. If the movie were about 30 minutes shorter, it would have actually been an exciting little action flick—unfortunately, they decided to pad it out with this completely useless love story. He padded out the costume with tissue paper to make it look more like a pumpkin.
A small house on one's property, separate from the main house, that serves as a permanent home for one's aging parents. Also called a "granny pod." With this granny pad, I get to see my family all the time, while still having a place of my own that is easy to maintain. Just don't call me "Granny"!
To arrange to sleep some place, especially on a temporary basis. I'll just pad down at my brother's apartment while I look for a place to live. Where are you padding down while you're in town?
pad the bill
To inflate the charges made to someone for some product, meal, or service by adding extra, typically unnecessary or unwanted items or fees. Their website is really easy to use, but I hate that they pad the bill with so many fees and charges right at the very end. Don't let them pad the bill with extra services you don't want or need.
1. Having a surplus of body fat. Good thing my but is so well padded, or I could have done some serious damage to myself when I fell off my bike!
2. Inflated with additional or excessive things. You can tell the movie was padded to get it to a 90-minute run time. It looked like the bill had been padded with a bunch of bogus administrative charges.
See also: pad
1. vulgar slang An extra seat or portion of the main seat of a motorcycle meant for a passenger, so called because such a seat is traditionally occupied by a woman. "Pussy" is a vulgar slang term for a vagina. I can give you a lift to the supermarket on my bike, but you'll have to ride on the pussy pad.
2. vulgar slang A female pelvic protector as worn by athletes in sporting events. Good thing I was wearing that pussy pad, or I might have done some serious damage to myself.
3. vulgar slang A pad used with a barbell during squats to give cushioning and support to one's neck. So-called because it is looked down on by some as being unmanly to use. I know some guys at the gym sneer at me for using a pussy pad, but it just hurts my neck way too much to do squats without one.
pad down (some place)
Sl. to make one's bed somewhere, usually a casual or temporary bed. Do you mind if I pad down at your place for the night? Can I pad down tonight?
Sl. to go to bed or to sleep. Man, if I don't pad out by midnight, I'm a zombie. Why don't you people go home so I can pad out?
pad something out
Fig. to make something appear to be larger or longer by adding unnecessary material. lf we pad the costume out here, it will make the person who wears it look much plumper. Let's pad out this paragraph a little.
pad the bill
Fig. to put unnecessary or additional items on a bill to make the total cost higher. The plumber had padded the bill with things we didn't need. I was falsely accused of padding the bill.
A free, temporary lodging place, as in The company maintains several crash pads for employees from out-of-town divisions. This expression originally referred to a place affording runaways, drug addicts, and the like somewhere to crash in the sense of "sleep." In time it also was used more broadly, as in the example. [Slang; 1960s]
1. To line or stuff something with soft material to make it fuller, puffier, or fluffier: I padded the pillow out with extra down. If you don't like the shape of this coat, we can pad out the shoulders for a fuller look.
2. To lengthen or increase something, especially with something extraneous: The director padded out the movie with several extra scenes so that it would be 90 minutes long. The lazy student wrote a short report and padded it out with useless facts.
n. shoes. (Streets.) Where are your earth pads, girlfriend? You can’t go to town with nekkid feet!
1. n. a place to live; one’s room or dwelling. Why don’t you come over to my pad for a while?
2. tv. to lengthen a piece of writing with unnecessary material. (see also padded.) This story would be better if you hadn’t padded it with so much chitchat.
pad down (somewhere)
in. to make one’s bed somewhere, usually a casual or temporary bed. Do you mind if I pad down at your place for the night?
in. to go to bed or to sleep. (see also pad.) Man, if I don’t pad out by midnight, I’m a zombie.
mod. plump or fat. He didn’t hurt himself when he fell down. He’s well padded there.
See also: pad
n. a extra seat on a motorcycle, behind the driver. (see also crack-rack.) Most expensive crotch-rockets have a pussy pad.