Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to on high: Getting high
1. in the air The runner turned into our street holding her flag on high.
Usage notes: often with from: You can hire a boat to explore the swamps, where monkeys chatter at you from on high.
2. someone in a position of authority The boss said that the new rules came from on high.
3. in heaven The angels on high sang His praises.
something or someone on high is in heaven The angels on high sang His praises.
1. Up in the sky; also, in heaven. For example, They fixed their eyes on high, looking for the comet, or, in the Bible (Psalms 63:5), "The Lord our God who dwelleth on high." [c. 1200]
2. In a position of authority, as in Those on high have decreed that we work every other weekend. This usage is an ironic transfer from def. 1. Also see powers that be.
1. High in the sky.
2. In heaven.
3. In a position of authority.