Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
immediately available in hand Ms. Sharp will be on hand to answer questions later about the film. The two cosmonauts have seven hours of oxygen on hand, but the job should take only four hours.
1. In one's possession, available, as in The business needs to have enough cash on hand. [c. 1100]
2. Present, as in Jim was always on hand to help. [Mid-1800s]
3. Soon, imminent. See at hand, def. 2.
1. Present; available: Are there enough people on hand to hold a meeting?
2. About to happen; imminent: What is on hand for this evening?