Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. adjective Worthless; futile; no use. I'm telling you, it's no good complaining to a receptionist—you need to get a manager on the line.
2. adjective Poor or unsatisfactory in quality. I'm sorry to be blunt, but your writing is no good.
3. noun A worthless, futile, or trivial action. You can get mad at me if you like, but it will do no good.
4. noun A malicious, harmful, or mischievous action, activity, or outcome. What are you boys whispering about? You're up to no good, aren't you? You'll come to no good if you don't go to a doctor soon.
Unsatisfactory, inadequate; also, no use. For example, This work is no good; it'll have to be done over, or It's no good complaining since there's nothing we can do, or I tried to appeal to his sense of generosity, but it did no good. [Mid-1800s] Also see come to an end (to no good), def. 2; do any (no) good.
2. Futile; useless: It's no good arguing with them.