Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
next to someone or something
near to someone or something; adjacent to someone or something. I live next to a bank. Please sit next to me.
almost It is supposed to be next to impossible to escape from a high-tech, maximum security prison.
1. Adjacent to, as in The car next to mine has a flat tire, [Late 1300s]
2. Following in order or degree, as in Next to skiing, she likes hiking. [Early 1500s]
3. Almost, practically, as in It's next to impossible to predict the outcome, or I earned next to nothing last year. [Second half of 1600s]
1. Adjacent to: the car next to hers.
2. Following in order or degree: Next to skiing, she likes hiking.
3. Almost; practically: next to impossible.