References in classic literature ?
Grant had chosen, he would have taken a--not a good temper into it; and as he must, either in the navy or army, have had a great many more people under his command than he has now, I think more would have been made unhappy by him as a sailor or soldier than as a clergyman.
The park would be open to him of course, and few navy officers, or men of any other description, can have had such a range; but what restrictions I might impose on the use of the pleasure-grounds, is another thing.
The navy, I think, who have done so much for us, have at least an equal claim with any other set of men, for all the comforts and all the privileges which any home can give.
Just then the dinner-bell rang, and I was not sorry, for it is a dreadful thing to have to listen to an officer of the Royal Navy when he gets on to that subject.
Pacing the flagship of this mighty fleet, second only to the navy of Helium, was the ebon godar, Jeddak of the First Born, his heart beating strong in anticipation of the coming moment when he should hurl his savage crews and the weight of his mighty ships upon the enemies of the warlord.
Carthoris, too, loyal son of Helium that he was, felt that even his beloved navy might not be able to cope successfully with the combined forces of three great powers.
Slowly the imperial navy progressed toward com-pletion.
I wanted her christened the Perry in honor both of her designer and that other great naval genius of another world, Captain Oliver Hazard Perry, of the United States Navy.
My great and good friend, I hear that you are going to show us your navy, in order to impress us with a sense of your power.
The great and good friend was so struck by the hard sense of the letter that he kept his navy at home, and saved one thousand million dollars.
This gallant fight of the little Revenge against the huge navy of Spain is one of the great things in the story of the sea; that is why I have chosen it out of all that Sir Walter wrote to give you as a specimen of English prose in Queen Elizabeth's time.
I am a lieutenant in the navy--in the great Pan-American navy, the only navy which now exists in all the world.
The result was the entire reconstruction of the navy of both the continents; as the one grew heavier, the other became thicker in proportion.
Young Shtcherbatsky went into the navy, was drowned in the Baltic, and Levin's relations with the Shtcherbatskys, in spite of his friendship with Oblonsky, became less intimate.
Navy, 1839; The Pathfinder, or the Inland Sea, 1840; Mercedes of Castile, 1841; The Deerslayer, or the First Warpath, 1841; The Two Admirals, 1842; The Wing-and-Wing (Jack o Lantern), 1842; The Battle of Lake Erie, or Answers to Messrs.
Idioms browser ?
- narrow at the equator
- narrow down
- narrow escape
- narrow squeak
- nary a
- nasty woman
- natter on
- Nature abhors a vacuum
- nature stop
- nature’s call
- nature's way of (doing something)
- naughty bits
- nause out
- nause someone out
- navigable waters
- ne plus ultra
- near and dear to
- near and far
- near at hand
- near miss
- near post
- near the knuckle
- near the wind
- near thing
- near to impossible
- near to one's heart
- nearer the church, the farther from God
- nearest and dearest
- nearly fall off chair
- nearly jump out of skin
Full browser ?
- NAVUSEAWARENGSTA DET
- Navvab, Mir Mokhsun
- NAVWAR Common Operating Environment
- NAVWAR Evaluation Team
- Navy & Marine Corps Acquisition Review Committee
- Navy & Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center
- Navy & Marine Training Aircraft Squadron
- Navy (US)
- Navy - Air Force Interface
- Navy - Tactical Input Segment
- Navy Absentee Collection and Information Center
- Navy Acceptance Trials
- Navy Accession Security Information System
- Navy Accounting & Finance Center
- Navy Accounting and Finance Center
- Navy Acquisition Circular
- Navy Acquisition Directive
- Navy Acquisition Executive
- Navy Acquisition Procedures Supplement
- Navy Acquisition Reform Senior Oversight Council
- Navy Acquisition Regulation Supplement
- Navy Acquisition Review Board
- Navy Acquisition, Research, & Development Information Center
- Navy Action Item
- Navy Activity Control
- Navy Adjudication Board
- Navy ADP Budgeting System
- Navy Adult Basic Skills Training Program
- Navy Advanced Concept
- Navy Advanced Placement Test
- Navy Advanced Satellite Program
- Navy Advanced Tactical Fighter
- Navy Advisory Group
- Navy Aerosol Analysis and Prediction System