Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. To reach or cause to reach a limit or threshold after which no further achievement, potential, progress, etc. is possible. I made the terrible mistake of maxing out my credit cards to get the business up and running. I'm good at crossword puzzles but that one is where I max out.
2. slang Relax; chill. I'm not busy, just maxing out. Want to come over and chill?
to reach one's maximum in something, such as weight in weight lifting or credit on a credit card. Andy finally maxed out at 300 pounds. Randy just knew when he had maxed out. Something in his body told him to stop.
1. Sl. exhausted; tired. lam just maxed out. I haven't been getting enough sleep. I had to stop work because I was too maxed out.
2. Sl. intoxicated. Sam was maxed out and seemed happy enough to sit under the table and whimper. I hadn't seen Barlowe so maxed out in years. He was nearly paralyzed.
1. Exhaust one's options, capacity, or the like by producing or performing to the maximum, as in The weight lifter maxed out at 180 kilograms. [Slang; late 1900s]
2. Reach a point at which no more growth, improvement, or benefit is possible, as in The salary for this job maxes out at $90,000. [Slang; late 1900s]
3. Relax, take things easy, as in Let's go to the beach and max out. [Slang; late 1900s]
1. To achieve a maximum value, especially as a final value: The rocket kept accelerating for a while, but finally maxed out at 6,000 miles per hour.
2. To cause something to achieve a maximum value, especially as a final value: I think I've maxed out the number of favors I can ask of my cousin. If you keep your foot on the accelerator pedal, you'll max the engine out.
3. To extend some source of credit to a maximum value or degree: I can't pay for this—I have no cash, and I maxed out my credit card. We maxed our credit line out, so we can't afford to do any more home improvements. Don't use the credit card again—we'll max out.
in. to reach one’s maximum in something, such as weight in weight lifting or credit on a credit card. Andy finally maxed out at 300 pounds.
1. mod. exhausted; tired. I am just maxed out. I haven’t been getting enough sleep.
2. mod. alcohol intoxicated. I hadn’t seen Marlowe so maxed out in years. He was nearly paralyzed.