make it(redirected from make it as far as)
make it (something)
An expression used when one wants to change something that one has just said. Let's have the meeting at 12:30. Actually, make it 02:30; I have another meeting scheduled at lunch time.
make it (until something)and make it to something; make it as far as something
to endure until something; to last until some time or until reaching some place. I hope my car can make it to the next town. Do you think you can make it until we come to a hotel?
1. to achieve one's goals. I can see by looking around this room that you have really made it. I hope I make it someday. But if not, I tried.
2. Sl. to copulate (with someone). There was no doubt in his mind that those bedroom eyes were telling him their owner wanted to make it. She wanted to make it, but he convinced her they should wait.
1. Also, make it to. Reach a certain point or goal, as in Do you think she'll make it to graduation? or We finally made it to Chicago. [c. 1900]
2. Succeed; also, win acceptance. For example, When he won the prize he realized he'd finally made it, or Jane longed to make it with the crowd from Society Hill. [Colloquial; mid-1900s]
3. Also, make it with. Have sexual intercourse, as in Tom bragged that he'd made it with Sue last night. [Colloquial; mid-1900s]
1 be successful in your job: She’s a very good dancer but I’m not sure she’ll make it as a professional. ♢ He wants to be a professor by the time he’s 30. Do you think he’ll make it?
2 succeed in reaching a place: The train leaves in ten minutes. Hurry up or we won’t make it. ♢ I don’t think we’ll make it before dark.
3 survive after an illness, accident, etc: ‘Do you think she’s going to make it, doctor?’ ‘It’s really too soon to say.’
1. tv. to achieve one’s goals. (see also make (it) big.) I can see by looking around this room that you have really made it.
2. tv. to copulate [with] someone. There was no doubt in his mind that those bedroom eyes were telling him their owner wanted to make it.
1. Informal To achieve a goal; be successful: finally made it as an actor.
2. Slang To have sexual intercourse.