lust(redirected from lusting)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
lust for life
Intense eagerness to experience all that life has to offer. I don't mind growing old, but I sometimes miss that boundless lust for life I had when I was younger. My 80-year-old grandfather has a lust for life that continues to amaze us all!
lust for power
Intense, insatiable desire to attain power and control. My brother's lust for power in our company has created some deep and bitter divisions between him and the rest of the family.
1. To have a strong sexual desire for someone. Sarah's been lusting for our waiter all night, so I wrote her number on a napkin and told him to call her when he finishes work.
2. To have an intense craving or obsessive desire for something. for two years of weight training and cardio, I've finally got the muscular body I've been lusting for A good advertising agency doesn't cater to what customers lust for—it decides what that is.
See also: lust
1. To have a strong sexual desire for someone. Sarah's been lusting after our waiter all night, so I wrote her number on a napkin and told him to call her when he finishes work.
2. To have an intense craving or obsessive desire for something. After two years of weight training and cardio, I've finally got the muscular body I've been lusting after A good advertising agency doesn't cater to what customers lust after—it decides what that is.
flame with (an emotion)
Of the eyes, to seem to convey a particular feeling or emotion with intensity. Callie's eyes flamed with anger when I accused her of cheating on the test. Of course John's interested in you—his eyes are practically flaming with desire every time he looks at you.
See also: flame
flame with angerand flame with resentment; flame with lust; flame with vengeance
Fig. [for someone's eyes] to "blaze" or seem to communicate a particular quality or excitement, usually a negative feeling. His eyes flamed with resentment when he heard Sally's good news. Her eyes flamed with hatred.
lust after someoneand lust for someone
to desire someone sexually. You could see that Sam was lusting after Sally. Roger claims that he does not lust for anyone.
lust for something
Fig. to desire something. He says he lusts for a nice cold can of beer. Mary lusts for rich and fattening ice cream.
See also: lust
1. To desire someone sexually: My college roommate lusts after the resident assistant.
2. To have an overwhelming desire or craving for something: I lust after chocolate, and I'm always snacking on fudge.