kill off(redirected from kill me off)
1. To kill or eradicate someone or something in large numbers. A noun or pronoun can be used between "kill" and "off." Hey, we're only trying to kill off the weeds here—be careful around my flowers!
2. To kill a character in a work of fiction. A noun or pronoun can be used between "kill" and "off." I can't believe they killed off my favorite character in the season finale.
3. To end or remove something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "kill" and "off." We were supposed to go to the water park today, but the kids killed that off with their repeated temper tantrums. Can we do anything to kill off this smoky smell?
kill (someone or an animal) off
to kill all of a group of people or creatures. Lefty set out to kill Max and his boys off. Something killed off all the dinosaurs.
1. Render extinct, eliminate completely, as in The plague killed off entire villages and towns. [c. 1600]
2. Represent as dead, as in This mystery writer kills off a new victim in almost every chapter. [Mid-1800s]
1. To destroy some form of life in such large numbers that none is left: The poisonous chemicals have killed off the fish that once lived in this pond. The pesticides killed the crops off.
2. To destroy or eliminate something, especially plans, ideas, or activities: Your insolent behavior has killed off any desire I might have had to help you. The disinfectant killed the odor off.
mod. alcohol or drug intoxicated. (Drugs.) The team went out drinking and came home killed off.