Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. tv. to be very successful with an audience; to perform very well for an audience. She really killed them with that last joke.
2. tv. to eat all of something; to drink all (of a bottle) of something. We finally killed the last of the turkey.
3. tv. to douse a light. Would you kill the light so they can’t see we’re home?
4. tv. to stop or terminate something; to quash a story; to stop a story from being printed in a newspaper. Kill that story. It’s got too many errors.
kill/run down/run out the clock
Sports To preserve a lead by maintaining possession of the ball or puck until playing time expires.
- be dressed to kill
- close in for the kill
- don't kill the messenger
- dress to kill
- dressed to kill
- even if it kills me
- fill or kill
- fit to kill
- have time to kill
- I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you
- if looks could kill
- in at the death
- in at the kill
- in for the kill
- It is not work that kills, but worry
- It is the pace that kills
- kill (one)self
- kill for
- kill for something
- kill me
- kill off
- kill or cure
- kill the clock
- kill the fatted calf
- Kill the goose that lays the golden egg
- kill the goose that lays the golden eggs
- kill time
- kill two birds with one stone
- kill with kindness
- look fit to kill
- move in for the kill
- run out the clock
- that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger
- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger