jury

(redirected from juries)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to juries: jury duty, Grand Juries

the jury is out

A decision has not yet been made. A: "Are we proceeding with the ad campaign?" B: "The jury is out on that. We want to bring in a few more focus groups."
See also: jury, out

jury is still out (on someone or something)

Fig. a decision has not been reached on someone or something; the people making the decision on someone or something have not yet decided. The jury is still out on Jane. We don't know what we are going to do about her. The jury is still out on the question of building a new parking lot.
See also: jury, out, still

jury is still out, the

No decision has been made; the public's opinion is not known. For example, As for a possible merger, the jury is still out, or The jury is still out on the new spring fashions. This expression alludes to the jury that decides a legal case. [Colloquial; mid-1900s]
See also: jury, still

the jury is out

or

the jury is still out

COMMON If you say that the jury is out or the jury is still out on a particular subject, you mean that people have not yet formed an opinion about it or reached a decision. The jury's still out on what are the long-term effects of air pollution. Specialists haven't been able to make up their minds whether hair dye is safe or not. `The jury is still out,' says Dr Venitt firmly. Note: This refers to the time when the jury in a court case retires from the court room to decide on a verdict.
See also: jury, out

the jury is out

a decision has not yet been reached on a controversial subject.
1998 New Scientist The jury is still out, but it looks as if there are no significant changes in the cosmic dust flux during past climate cycles.
See also: jury, out

the jury is/are (still) ˈout (on something)

people have not yet decided if something is good or bad: No one knows whether the government’s housing policy is popular or not. The jury is still out on that until the next election.Was he a good leader? The jury is still out on that question.
The jury is a group of members of the public who listen to the facts of a case in a court of law and decide whether or not a person is guilty of a crime. They leave the courtroom to discuss the case and make their decision in secret.
See also: jury, out
References in periodicals archive ?
Juries condoned violence by and against both men and women.
While juries are still unpredictable, the door is now open to achieving settlements that more fairly apportion blame, and thereby lessen the financial burden on companies and their insurers.
At the same time, the work of juries is, by design, meant to be largely secret and not subject to second-guessing.
was the nation's capital of "jackpot justice," a place where "plaintiffs' lawyers have found that juries in rural, impoverished places can be mighty sympathetic when one of their own goes up against a big, rich, multinational corporation.
Dwyer blames trial by jury's downward spiral on the way adversarial justice is managed, not on the juries themselves.
Juries in civil (non-criminal) cases are possible, but rare.
Margulies of CHIP says juries will first have to decide if someone who is not identified could have been an intruder.
Plaintiffs are simply unable to persuade juries of their claims because the facts and the science are just not there.
Among those arrested for homicide during this period, 42 percent were exonerated by coroner's juries or by grand juries, and the remaining 58 percent went to trial in the Cook County Criminal Court.
This data indicates juries empathize more with plaintiffs in bad faith cases and/or view insurer defendants less favorably than other types of defendants.
The DVD has commentary from the filmmakers and stars, but it might have been more interesting to have brought in a legal expert to talk about how psychological profiling on juries is really used today.
THE FEDERAL government has transformed grand juries into "inquisitorial bulldozers that run roughshod over the constitutional rights of citizens," warns a new study from the Cato Institute.
For their part, the Kressels' rather cheerful conclusion, based on whatever scant research exists, and the opinions of assorted experts, is that the fears about consultant-concocted juries defeating the right to trial by an impartial jury are greatly overblown.
As more and more juries refused to convict people who had clearly violated Prohibition laws, prosecutors were forced to stop handling these cases, thereby opening the door for the repeal of Prohibition.
Juries usually are made of people with diverse backgrounds and educational levels, but very few jurors have any knowledge of accounting or financial matters.