Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
(as) black as ink
1. Completely black; totally without light or color. The basement gives me the creeps, it's as black as ink down there!
2. Of a thoroughly evil, mean-spirited, or ungenerous mindset or disposition. She narrowed her eyes, and I could tell her thoughts had turned as black as ink.
slang A writer, especially one who produces a large amount of low-quality material for a living. I spent a lot of time after college as an ink-slinger for various newspapers and magazines while working on my first novel.
written or signed with a pen that uses ink, not with a pencil. You should write your report in ink. You must sign your checks in ink.
See also: ink
ink something in
1. to fill in an outline with ink. Please ink the drawing in with care. Ink in the drawing carefully.
2. to write something in ink. Please ink your name in on the dotted line. Now, ink in your signature on this line right here.
See also: ink
Fig. debt; indebtedness as shown in red ink on a financial statement. There is too much red ink in my financial statement. Too much red ink and the company will collapse.
(as) gay as pink ink
mod. having to do with an obviously homosexual person, usually a male. These two guys—as gay as pink ink—came in together.
gay as pink inkverb
1. n. cheap red wine. The old wino prefers ink to anything else.
2. n. publicity; print media coverage of someone or something. The movie star’s divorce got a lot of ink for a few days.
3. n. a tattoo. (The same as paint.) When dya get the new ink?
4. n. tattoos in general; the amount of tattooing on someone’s body. (The same as paint.) He’s got ink covering his back.
n. a professional writer; a newspaper reporter. The ink slingers have been at the candidates again.
n. debt; indebtedness as shown in red ink on a financial statement. There is too much red ink in my financial statement.