in charge(redirected from in the charge of)
in charge (of someone or something)
in control of someone or something; having the responsibility for someone or something. Who is in charge of this office? Do you like being in charge?
1. In a position of leadership or supervision, as in Who's in charge here? or He's the agent in charge at the ticket counter. [Early 1500s]
2. in charge of. Having control over or responsibility for, as in You're in charge of making the salad. [Late 1500s]
3. in the charge of; in the care of. Under someone's care or supervision, as in We left the children in the charge of their grandparents. [Mid-1800s]
1. In a position of leadership or supervision: the security agent in charge at the airport.
2. Chiefly British Under arrest.