impact

(redirected from impacting)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to impacting: belittled, confine, epitomize

have an impact on someone or something

to leave an impression on someone or something. The sharp change in interest rates had an impact on the housing market. Your story really had an impact on me.
See also: have, impact, on

impact (up)on someone or something

[for something] to have an effect on someone or something. (Upon is formal and less commonly used than on.) This plant closing will impact upon the local economy for years to come. The day's troubles impacted on Rachel quite seriously.
See also: impact, on

upon impact

Fig. at the place or time of an impact. The car crumpled upon impact with the brick wall. The man who fell from the top of the building died on impact.
See also: impact, upon

impact on

v.
To have an effect on someone or something: The results of the election will impact on upcoming legislation.
See also: impact, on
References in periodicals archive ?
Approximately 30 percent of the 2003 net income reductions are expected to impact the Company's continuing operations, with the remaining approximately 70 percent impacting discontinued operations (compared to the previously announced estimate of an approximately equal impact to continuing operations and discontinued operations);
Associate Professor in the Department of Planetary Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, in a paper entitled, "Environmental Consequences of Impact Cratering Events as a Function of Ambient Conditions on Earth," contends that while the size of the impacting object and the energy of the blast are important in determining the outcome of the impact event, the environmental conditions and type of ecosystems in existence at the time of the impact may play an equally important role.