hump(redirected from humped)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
bust (one's) hump
1. (acting upon oneself) To exert a significant amount of energy to do, accomplish, or complete something, especially with great haste. I've been busting my hump all night long to get this presentation ready for tomorrow's meeting. She's going to have to bust her hump if she wants a place on the varsity team.
2. (acting upon someone else) To harass, nag, or upbraid someone to do, accomplish, or complete something. The boss is busting everyone's hump to get the project ready by next week. Quit busting my hump! I'll get it done eventually!
be over the hump
slang To have endured and surpassed the most difficult or unpleasant part of a task or situation. I had a hard time adjusting to my new job, but I'm over the hump now that it's been a few months. We're finally over the hump with this research. All that's left to do are citations.
get the hump
To become annoyed or irritated because one thinks that another has wronged them. Jenny often feels left out anyway, so If you don't bring her a cupcake too, she'll get the hump.
over the hump
1. Fig. over the hard part; past the midpoint. Things should be easy from now on. We finally got over the hump. When you get over the hump, life is much better.
2. intoxicated on drugs. Harry is over the hump now. He is stoned. This stuff makes you sick at first. Then suddenly you are over the hump and floating.
over the hump
Past the most difficult part, as in She's over the hump with her dissertation; she'll soon be done. This expression alludes to a barrier that impedes progress. [Colloquial; 1920s]
get the humpBRITISH, INFORMAL
If you get the hump, you get annoyed by something. She got the hump because we were mucking around. He's still got the hump with his former team mate.
hump dayAMERICAN, INFORMAL
Hump day is Wednesday. He's just an average guy trying to get through hump day. Note: This expression comes from the idea that the middle of the week is the `hump' or the hardest part to get through.
over the humpINFORMAL
If you are over the hump in an unpleasant or difficult situation, you are past the worst part of it. I think we're basically over the hump. We've got an economy now that's likely to grow. It's been a difficult time but we're over the hump now.
1. tv. & in. to copulate [with] someone. (Refers to male arching his back in copulation, as in fornicate. Usually objectionable.) The sailor spent his entire leave drinking and humping.
2. n. an act of copulation. (Usually objectionable.) The sailor said he needed a hump and left the ship for the port.
3. n. a person who will copulate without much persuasion. (Usually objectionable.) He’s okay as a hump, but he can’t dance.
in. to move along in a hurry. Come on, move it! Hump to the main office and be fast about it!
See hump along
hump it (to somewhere)
tv. to move rapidly (to somewhere). I have to hump it over to Kate’s place right now.
over the hump 1
mod. drug intoxicated. Things should be easy from now on. We are over the hump.
over the hump
Past the worst or most difficult part or stage: At last I'm over the hump on my term paper.