hit or miss


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.

hit and miss

adjective Sometimes good or successful, sometimes not; having mixed or unpredictable results; random, aimless, careless, or haphazard. (Hyphenated if used before a noun.) Films at the festival were hit and miss, but they were all unique. The company still relies on hit-and-miss techniques that seem antiquated by today's standards.
See also: and, hit, miss

hit or miss

adjective Sometimes good or successful, sometimes not; having mixed or unpredictable results; random, aimless, careless, or haphazard. (Hyphenated if used before a noun.) Films at the festival were hit or miss, but they were all unique. The company still relies on hit-or-miss techniques that seem antiquated by today's standards.
See also: hit, miss

hit or miss

Haphazardly, at random. For example, She took dozens of photos, hit or miss, hoping that some would be good. [c. 1600]
See also: hit, miss
References in periodicals archive ?
me, and Madison Reed; it's now focused on further fostering brand and retailer relationships for Hit or Miss, along with evolving and elevating app functionality and partnering with fashion influencers to feature their favorite trends and brands.
Hit or Miss is a privately held (80% owned by Access Capital Partners with the remaining 20% owned by directors/management) retailer of women's off-price fashion clothing and accessories.
This financing will give Hit or Miss the liquidity they need to reorganize successfully," added Paragon CEO Stewart Cohen.