Also found in: Dictionary.
one hell of a (something or someone)
1. An exceptionally good, exciting, or interesting thing or person. Marty sure is one hell of a guy, always willing to lend his friends a hand! Two cars for the price of one? That's one hell of a deal!
2. An exceptionally bad or difficult thing, activity, or person. This is one hell of a math assignment—I can't understand the first thing about it! Boy, that is one hell of a haircut. You're going to go out in public like that?
a hell of a someone or somethingand a helluva someone or something
1. Inf. a very bad person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) That's a hell of a way to treat someone. He's a hell of a driver! Watch out! 2. Inf. a very good person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) He is one hell of a guy. We really like him. We had a helluva good time.
a hell of a somebody/somethingalso one hell of a somebody/something
a surprisingly good person or thing a heck of a somebody/something That was a hell of a show - great acting, amazing special effects, and a terrific ending. He's one hell of a guy.
Usage notes: sometimes written as helluva: We're going to have a helluva football team this year!
a hell of a somethingalso one hell of a something
a very difficult activity or bad thing a heck of a something We had a hell of a time getting home last night. Isn't this a hell of a mess?
hell of a someone/somethingand helluva someone/something
1. n. a very bad person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) That’s a hell of a way to treat someone.
2. n. a very good person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) He is one helluva guy. We really like him.
See also: helluva