Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. noun A very devoted subset of an organization. They're the hard core of the group, so I'd talk them if you're interested in volunteering.
2. adjective Describing someone who is staunch and unyielding in their beliefs. The phrase is typically hyphenated when used before a noun. She's a hard-core liberal, so good luck getting her to listen to your conservative views.
3. adjective Describing pornography that is especially graphic or explicit. I was appalled to find hard-core porn on his computer.
4. adjective Describing something that is especially intense or impressive. Wow, you're really specializing in surgery? That's hard core!
5. adjective Describing a style of rock music that is especially loud and aggressive. You'll go deaf if you keep listening to that hard core rock at such a loud volume!
1. mod. sexually explicit; pornographic. You can’t sell that hard-core stuff in a store like this!
2. mod. extreme; entrenched. There are too many hard-core cases of poverty there.
3. mod. very good; stunning; great. I’d like a really hard-core pizza with at least five kinds of cheese.
4. mod. extreme; quintessential. She thinks of herself as a hard-core leftist.