guy(redirected from guys)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. A term of friendly endearment for a boy, man, or male animal. Aw, who's a good dog? Come here, big guy! Hey, big guy! How are things?
2. Literally, a large male. My brother is such a big guy that I'm never worried when he's around.
couldn't happen to a nicer (person)
Of an outcome, completely deserved by the person or people in question. Sometimes used sarcastically when referring to a negative event happening to an unpleasant person. Dawn and her partner are expecting their first child this summer. They're so excited, and it couldn't happen to a nicer couple. I hear that jerk Tony is heading into bankruptcy—couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
See also: happen
one hell of a (something or someone)
1. An exceptionally good, exciting, or interesting thing or person. Marty sure is one hell of a guy, always willing to lend his friends a hand! Two cars for the price of one? That's one hell of a deal!
2. An exceptionally bad or difficult thing, activity, or person. This is one hell of a math assignment—I can't understand the first thing about it! Boy, that is one hell of a haircut. You're going to go out in public like that?
one heck of a (something or someone)
1. An exceptionally good, exciting, or interesting thing or person. Marty sure is one heck of a guy, always willing to lend his friends a hand! Two cars for the price of one? That's one heck of a deal!
2. An exceptionally bad or difficult thing, activity, or person. This is one heck of a math assignment—I can't understand the first thing about it! Boy, that is one heck of a haircut. You're going to go out in public like that?
A teenaged or adult male who is dependably friendly and compassionate, to the point of being seen as too boring, unchallenging, or uninspiring to be romantically involved with. I'm tired of just being the nice guy that no girl wants to date. I want to be seen as edgy, dangerous even—someone no girl can resist!
A friendly way of addressing a group collectively. Can be used for both men and women, or a group of both. A: "Hey, are you guys going to the concert on Saturday?" B: "Rick and I definitely are, but Jen is undecided.
See also: guy
as the next guy
As anyone else. A vague method of comparison. Sure, I'd love to go to the museum with you—I love art as much as the next guy! I like cheeseburgers as much as the next guy, I just don't want to eat one every day.
Mr. Nice Guy
a friendly, forgiving fellow. You II find that I am Mr. Nice Guy as long as you play fair with me. Oh, my boss is Mr. Nice Guy. He'll give me the day off, I'm sure.
Nice guys finish last.
Prov. You will never be able to get what you want by being kind and considerate. The unscrupulous salesman advised his trainees, "Don't worry if you have to lie about the product to get the customer to buy it. Nice guys finish last."
a normal and dependable guy. Don't worry about Tom. He's a regular guy. He won't give you any trouble.
someone who acts cocky or rude. All right, smart guy, see if you like this one. Some smart guy put chewing gum on this bench.
a strong and severe man; a man who might be part of the underworld. He was your typical tough guy—jutting chin, gruff voice—but he was just our decorator checking up on the drapes. So, you want to be a tough guy, huh?
a fall guy(mainly American informal)
someone who is blamed for another person's mistake or crime The book claims Lee Harvey Oswald didn't kill President Kennedy - he was just the fall guy.
No more Mr Nice Guy.
something that you say when you have decided to behave in a less pleasant way I'm fed up with people taking advantage of me. From now on, it's no more Mr Nice Guy.
a wise guy(American & Australian informal) also a wise-ass (American very informal!)
someone who is always trying to seem more clever than everyone else in a way that is annoying Okay, wise guy, if you're so damned smart, you can tell everyone how it's done! He's just some wise-ass who thinks he knows all the answers. (American & Australian informal)See an old head on young shoulders
1. A scapegoat, one who is blamed for the actions of others. For example, He refused to be the fall guy for his colleagues. This expression uses fall in the sense of "consequences" or "blame," which originated in prison slang. [Slang; early 1900s] Also see take the fall.
2. An easy victim, one who is readily duped. For example, His friends had marked him as the fall guy-they knew he would believe their ruse. [Slang; early 1900s]
Also, regular fellow. A nice or agreeable person, as in Luke's a regular guy, or Hilda's a regular fellow. [Colloquial; first half of 1800s]
An obnoxious know-it-all, a person who makes sarcastic or annoying remarks, as in the teacher was delighted that the worst wise guy in the class was moving out of town. [Slang; second half of 1800s] Also see smart aleck.
n. a victim; a dupe; the guy who takes the fall. (Originally underworld.) I didn’t want to be the fall guy, so I sat out the last job.
n. a fellow; a man or boy. (Colloquial. Very old. Not necessarily male in the plural.) When you guys finish getting your makeup on, we can go back to the guys.
n. something that appeals to men; something that men do. We just do it. We don’t know why. It’s a guy thing.
Mr. Nice Guy
n. a friendly, forgiving fellow. Oh, my boss is Mr. Nice Guy. He’ll let me off, I’m sure.
n. a good guy; a straight guy. Tom is a right guy. No trouble with him.
n. a man who acts cocky; a wise guy. All right, smart guy, see if you like this one.
n. a tough man; a man who might be part of the underworld. He was your typical tough guy—jutting chin, gruff voice—but he was just our decorator checking up on the drapes. So, you want to be a tough guy, huh?
n. a foolish person; a smart aleck. (see also smart guy. Also a term of address.) Look, wise guy, mind your own business!
You guys bitchin’?
interrog. Hello, how are you? Tsup? You guys bitchin’?
See also: guy