Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to guilt: gilt
absolve from guilt
To consider innocent, clear of all suspicion, or pardon from any cause of guilt. The knights of the crusades committed many atrocities in their campaign, but they were absolved from guilt by the heads of the church.
absolved from guilt
Considered innocent, cleared of all suspicion, or pardoned from any cause of guilt. The knights of the crusades committed many atrocities in their campaign, but they were regarded as absolved from guilt because of their religious patronage.
A very strong and persistent feeling of guilt regarding something or some event. John developed a guilt complex after forcing his brother to move out.
See also: guilt
1. noun A deep feeling of guilt or remorse. I'm having a guilt trip for not being able to attend my sister's wedding.
2. verb To make others feel guilty, especially in an attempt to manipulate them. Kelly's parents were always trying to guilt trip her for not giving them grandchildren. You can't guilt trip me into donating money, I give enough to charity already.
a guilt trip(informal)
a strong feeling of guilt I'm on a guilt trip about not visiting my parents often enough.
send somebody on a guilt trip(British informal) also lay/put a guilt trip on somebody (American informal)
to make someone feel very guilty I'm tired of environmentalists who put a guilt trip on the rest of us for causing pollution with our life styles. She's sent me on a guilt trip about my treatment of Steven.
lay a (heavy) trip on someone
1. tv. to criticize someone. There’s no need to lay a trip on me. I agree with you.
2. tv. to confuse or astonish someone. After he laid a heavy trip on me about how the company is almost broke, I cleaned out my desk and left.
3. and lay a guilt trip on someone tv. to attempt to make someone feel very guilty. Why do you have to lay a guilt trip on me? Why don’t you go to a shrink? Keep your problems to yourself. Don’t lay a trip on me!
lay a guilt trip on someoneverb
lay a guilt trip on
To make or try to make (someone) feel guilty.