grunt(redirected from grunting)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to grunting: stridor
grunt something out
to say something with a snort or grunt. Jane grunted a command out to someone. She grunted out a curt command and the gate opened.
Fig. work that is menial and thankless. During the summer, I earned money doing grunt work. I did all of the grunt work on the project, but my boss got all of the credit.
grunt work(American informal)
hard work that is not very interesting Her job was nothing glamorous - a lot of grunt work drafting agreements for others to sign.See donkey work
donkey work(British, American & Australian informal) also grunt work (American informal)
hard, boring work
Usage notes: In the past, donkeys were used to carry heavy loads.Why do I have to do all the donkey work while you get to do the interesting stuff?
1. n. an infantry soldier. (Military. From the gutteral sound made by a pig, and anyone doing very heavy labor.) Get those grunts out on the field at sunrise!
2. n. a low-ranking or subservient person. (Someone who is likely to utter a grunt because of the discomforts of menial labor.) Let’s hire a grunt to do this kind of work.
3. n. a belch. Does that grunt mean you like my cooking?
4. n. a hardworking student. The grunts got Bs on the test. It was that hard!
5. n. a wrestler. (Possibly in reference to a grunting pig.) Two big grunts wearing outlandish costumes performed for the television cameras.
grunt workand shit work
n. hard, menial labor; tedious work. (Work that a lesser person ought to be doing.) Who is supposed to do the grunt work around here? Not me! Why am I always doing the shit work?