Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
grow by leaps and bounds
To rapidly grow or expand. Our small company has grown by leaps and bounds over the past year, thanks in no small part to our aggressive new marketing campaign. Our puppy has grown by leaps and bounds since we switched to a new brand of dog food.
grow like Topsy
To rapidly grow or expand. Our small company has grown like Topsy over the past year, thanks in no small part to our aggressive new marketing campaign. Our puppy has grown like Topsy since we switched to a new brand of dog food.
grow on trees
Become available freely or without effort. Typically used in the phrase "money doesn't grow on trees." I can't believe you would spend your entire allowance on a silly video game. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know!
1. verb To become older and more mature; to progress toward adulthood. When I grow up, I want to be an astronaut Growing up with three older brothers probably did a lot to shape my personality.
2. verb To arise or emerge. Protests have grown up all across the nation in response to that incident.
3. expression An imperative to be more mature, typically directed at someone exhibiting what the speaker considers to be extremely immature behavior. Oh, grow up and take some responsibility for your actions. Ugh, you guys are so immature! Grow up!
have grown whiskers
To be old, as of a story or joke. No one laughed at your story because it had grown whiskers by then.
to become mature; to become adult. All the children have grown up and the parents are left with a lot of debts.
1. Become an adult, as in Sam wants to be a policeman when he grows up. [First half of 1500s]
2. Come into existence, arise, as in Similar social problems grew up in all the big cities. [Late 1500s]
3. Become mature or sensible, as in It's time you grew up and faced the facts. This usage may also be in the form of an imperative (as in Don't bite your nails-grow up!) [Mid-1900s]
grow on treesbe plentiful or easily obtained.
1996 Nozipo Maraire Zenzele Children these days think that money grows on trees!
grow like ˈTopsygrow very fast, particularly in an unplanned or uncontrolled way: After many contributions, our website has grown like Topsy, and is now being completely revised.Topsy was a female character in Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
To become an adult: I want to be a teacher when I grow up.