grind out(redirected from grinding out)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
grind it out
To continually work on a difficult task. I've been grinding it out, trying to figure out where this discrepancy in the budget came from.
1. To produce something by crushing or pulverizing, as through a machine. A noun or pronoun can be used between "grind" and "out." The workers in here are grinding out flour from grain.
2. To make, create, or produce something perfunctorily and unenthusiastically. A noun or pronoun can be used between "grind" and "out." How many of these stupid articles do I have to grind out before someone at the magazine takes my work seriously?
3. To work hard to do or accomplish something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "grind" and "out." With hard work and a focus on defense, we should be able to grind out a victory against this team. It took hours to grind out a compromise, but we're finally in agreement now.
In baseball, to hit a ground ball that leads to one being called "out" (as by an opposing player fielding the ball and throwing to or tagging first base). You'll ground out for sure if you hit a grounder towards first.
grind something out.
1. Lit. to produce something by grinding. Working hard, he ground the powder out, acup at a time. He ground out the powder, a cup at a time.
2. Fig. to produce something in a mechanical or perfunctory manner. The factory just keeps grinding these toys out, day after day. The machine grinds out the same part by the hundreds all day long.
1. To produce mechanically or without inspiration: The factory grinds out a uniform product. I dread writing my tedious weekly reports, but I grind them out.
2. To achieve or accomplish something through determination and force: The team ground out a win. Their running game ground out 50 yards, putting them in position for a field goal. Victory seemed far off, but we managed to grind it out in the last minutes of play.
To be put out by hitting a ground ball that is caught by the first base player or is thrown to first base by another player: The game ended when our best batter grounded out on a curve ball.
grind it out
To make a persistent effort in doing something that is difficult; work at something persistently.