gotcha(redirected from gotchas)
Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia.
1. slang An exclamation used when one has located or caught someone or something. A colloquial variation of "(I) got ya," which itself is a variation of "(I) got you." Ha, gotcha! All right, let's go release this little mouse back into the wild. A: "Gotcha!" B: "Aw man. How did you find my hiding place?"
2. slang I understand your message, explanation, or instructions. Oh, so I should turn the blue dial first—gotcha. A: "That's why I had to leave so early." B: "Gotcha."
1. tv. I got you!; I’ve caught you! (Usually Gotcha!) Ha, ha! Gotcha! Come here, you little dickens.
2. n. an arrest. (Underworld.) It was a fair gotcha. Sam was nabbed, and he went along quietly.
3. tv. I understand you. Seven pounds, four ounces? Gotcha! I’ll tell everybody.