go nuclear(redirected from gone nuclear)
1. To use nuclear weapons, as by the military, often considered a last resort. I'm worried about the repercussions if our military officials decide to go nuclear.
2. In the US Senate, to pursue a course of action allowing the majority party to end filibustering with a simple majority, rather than the usually required supermajority of 60%. Senators could, however, go nuclear and approve this nomination.
3. To behave wildly. You only turn 21 once, so I plan to go nuclear at my birthday party this weekend!
4. To aggressively express one's anger. When mom finds out you dented her brand-new car, she's going to go nuclear!
5. To take drastic action. Whoa, calling the CEO about this issue is definitely going nuclear—let's see what we can do on our own first.
See also: nuclear