Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
give something over (to someone or something)
to hand something over to someone or something. Please give the money over to Sherri, who handles the accounts. She is waiting at the front office. Just go there and give it over.
1. Hand over, entrust, as in They gave over all the papers to the library. [Late 1400s]
2. Also, give oneself over. Devote or surrender to a particular purpose or use, as in The whole day was given over to merrymaking, or He gave himself over to grief. [Late 1400s]
1. To hand something over; entrust something: The landlord gave over the keys after we paid the deposit. She gave the package over to the courier for delivery.
2. To devote something to a particular purpose or use: Because we won, we gave the day over to merrymaking.
3. To surrender or abandon oneself completely. Used reflexively: When the funeral was finished, I finally gave myself over to grief.