References in periodicals archive ?
15) The mass of the people, by degrees, formed the same habit and soon there was no longer seen a crowd of imbeciles stupefied at the sight of a diamond setting or some other gewgaw of this kind.
The bombilla is not a gewgaw, but rather an old, functional imbibing method for South American mate (also called Yerbamate, or spelled mate).
No trinket of a teacher, no gewgaw of a penitent fellow pupil, no tricksy tormentor could crack the silence of me.
He stood and waded and waved, smiling, at the old shepherd in black pants and a carved stick in his hand, which itself looked carved; Ray, expensively muscular in his Valentino swim trunks, thought he was probably not much younger than this ancient peasant and suddenly his grief struck him as a costly gewgaw, beyond the means of the grievously hungry and hardworking world.
In accepting his pointy, gold-plated gewgaw honoring the highest achievements in the television arts, Andy Samberg (accepting on behalf of his collaborator Justin Timberlake) declared, "It's safe to say that when we first set out to make this song, we were all thinking, 'Emmy
ee karAoke cAEsar shillelAGH tAOIseach bE sEA ocrEAE BEAUchamp bEE sEEing vEHicle seize LEIGH recEIPt pEOple mESne diocESEs gEWgaw kEY honEYEd kIwI minutzIAE chIEf mlHrab torII komIJne [kaas] coutIL canaILLE grenouILLES debris bruit [grand] prIX dahabIYeh fjord kopJE fOEtus onomatopOEIa chamOIs (pl.
This gewgaw is central to the play's flimsy furbelow of a plot--as Anna herself might put it, obscurely.
Lewis, lobbed a bauble in the New Year Gewgaw List, captained Glamorgan to their second county championship in 1969.
Harvey claimed that he was planning to conduct medical research on the brain, and, in an agreement eventually struck with Hans Albert over the phone, he assured that the brain would only be the subject of medical journals and not become a pop-cultural gewgaw, as the Einsteins most feared.
Beck, who (often in collaboration with Julie Ault) has long been engaged in plumbing the material, historical, and ideological specificities of exhibition practices, structures his own as a kind of hymnal to the detail par excellence: not just connections but literal connectors (system connector joints, a type of utilitarian gewgaw that links together other mass-produced parts, to be precise), which came into widespread use in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
As awards shows go, the Grammys have the right idea: Concentrate on putting on a spectacle, and if you absolutely must give out a gold-plated gewgaw from time to time, well, then, these things happen.
But as realized, Pastor's unnatural natural disaster is both less portentous and less pat, exploding optimistically upward and outward in a sparkly gewgaw rush.
Gonzalez hunts for eye-catching items that combine street fashion and club culture with elegance, from gewgaws to artisan candles and leather goods, books and magazines.
In "The Four Ages of Poetry" (1821), Thomas Love Peacock's satirical eye lights on the period's tendency toward this variety of pastiche in language that anticipates Rossetti's anxious explanation to Allingham: "While the historian and the philosopher are advancing in, and accelerating, the progress of knowledge, the poet is wallowing in the rubbish of departed ignorance, and raking up the ashes of dead savages to find gewgaws and rattles for the grown babies of the age.
Our gewgaws of epoxy resin and nylon fibre do not attest, however, to any advance in our rational prowess so much as they allude to the breadth of our cultural tyranny.
Idioms browser ?
- get/put somebody's back up
- get/put your skates on
- get/run into debt
- get/sink your teeth into something
- get/start off on the right/wrong foot
- get/take a grip/hold on yourself
- get/take flak
- get/take it into your head that...
- get/take stick from somebody
- get/take the bit between your teeth
- get/turn nasty
- gets one right here
- Getting any?
- getting on (in years)
- getting on for
- getting on for (something)
- getting on for...
- getting on toward (a time)
- getting there
- getting there is half the fun
- ghetto bird
- ghetto blaster
- ghetto booty
- ghetto box
- ghetto sled
- ghost in the machine
- ghost of a chance
- ghost someone
- ghost town
- ghost turd
- ghost writer
- ghostly presence
- GI can
- Giddy up!
- gift horse
- gift of gab
Full browser ?
- Gewerkschaft Der Eisenbahner
- Gewerkschaft Der Eisenbahner Deutschlands
- Gewerkschaft Der Gemeindebediensteten
- Gewerkschaft der Polizei
- Gewerkschaft der Privatangestellten
- Gewerkschaft der Versorgungsverwaltung
- Gewerkschaft Deutscher Lokführer
- Gewerkschaft Holz und Kunststoff
- Gewerkschaft Metall Bergbau Energie
- Gewerkschaft Metall-Textil-Nahrung
- Gewerkschaft Naturkost Landwirtschaft Lebensmittelindustrie
- Gewerkschaft Öffentliche Dienste, Tranport und Verkehr
- Gewerkschaft Öffentlicher Dienst
- Gewerkschaft Textil Chemie Papier
- Gewerkschaft, Erziehung und Wissenschaft
- Gewestelijk Bestemmingsplan
- Gewestelijk Onderwijs en Advies Centrum
- Gewestelijke Economische Raad voor Vlaanderen
- Gewestelijke Investerings Maatschappij Vlaanderen
- Gewestelijke Ontwikkelingsmaatschappij Limburg
- GEWEX Asian Monsoon Experiment
- GEWEX Asian Monsoon Experiment - Tropics
- Gewex Atmospheric Boundary Layer Study
- GEWEX Cloud System Study
- GEWEX Continental-Scale International Project
- GEWEX Hydrometeorological Panel
- Gewex Radiation Panel
- GEWEX Water Vapor Project
- Gewichtheber Verband Schleswig Holstein
- Gewinn- und Verlustrechnung
- Gewinn-Und Verlust
- Gewone Commanditaire Vennootschap