get hold of (one)(redirected from gets hold of me)
get hold of (one)
1. Literally, to grab and hold onto someone with one's hands. The police officer got hold of suspect before he could run away. My sister got hold of me at our mother's funeral to keep herself from breaking down in tears.
2. To successfully make contact and communicate with someone. I wasn't able to get hold of my brother at the weekend, I hope he's alright.
3. To gain total control, influence, or power over someone. Well, once major corporations get hold of politicians, it's easy to predict where that senator's or congressperson's interests will lie. Addiction seems to have completely gotten hold of John.
4. To capture someone's attention, interest, or imagination. Her latest novel got hold of me and didn't let go until I'd read it cover to cover.
get hold of
Grasp, obtain; also, get in touch with. For example, If you can just get hold of one end, I'll get the other, or Jane had no luck getting hold of the book she needed, or I've phoned a dozen times but I can't seem to get hold of him. [c. 1300] Also see lay hold of.
get hold of
1. To come into possession of; find: Where can I get hold of a copy?
2. To communicate with, as by telephone: tried to get hold of you but the line was busy.
3. To gain control of. Often used reflexively: You must get hold of yourself!