Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Sl. to lay one's money on the table. (Gambling.) Okay, every body get down. Get down, and let's get going!
2. Sl. to concentrate; to do something well. I'm flunking two subjects, man. I gotta get down. Come on, Sam, pay attention. Get down and learn this stuff.
3. Sl. to copulate. Hey, let's get down! All Steve wants to do is get down all the time.
get down (from something)
to get off something; to climb down from something. Please get down from there this instant! Get down before you fall!
get down (on all fours)
to position oneself on one's hands and knees. He got down on all fours and played with the children. Mary got down and walked around like a dog.
get someone down
to depress a person; to make a person very sad. My dog ran away, and it really got me down. Oh, that's too bad. Don't let it get you down.
get someone or something down (from something)
to bring someone or something down from a higher place. See if you can get my cat down from the tree. Please get down the sugar from the top shelf.
get someone or something down somethingand get someone or something down
to manage to put or force something downward. We finally got her down the stairs, but it was a struggle. Don had to push and push to get his laundry down the chute.
get something down (in black and white)and get something down (on paper); get something down*
Fig. to record some important information in writing. (Alludes to the black of ink and the white of paper.) Be sure to get his statement down in black and white. I'm glad we have agreed on a price. I want to get it down in black and white. Get down every word of it! This is important. Please get it down on paper.
1. Descend; bring down; also, swallow. For example, He's getting down from the ladder, or Can you get the cat down from the tree? or I can't seem to get this pill down. [Late 1500s]
2. get down to. Give one's attention to, as in Let's get down to work, or It's time we got down to business. [Late 1800s] For the most important variants, see under get down to brass tacks.
3. get down on. See down on.
4. get someone down. Discourage or depress someone. For example, Don't let Mary's troubles get you down, or Day after day of rain really gets me down. [c. 1930]
5. Describe in writing, as in Can you get down all he's saying?
6. Lose one's inhibitions, enjoy oneself fully. For example, At our reunion we got down with all our old friends. [Slang]
1. To descend or climb off of something: He got down off the table and stood in the middle of the kitchen. Get down off the roof before you fall!
2. To cause someone or something to descend or climb off of something: I tried to get the cat down from the tree.
3. To lower oneself by crouching or lying, especially on the ground or the floor: When the thieves started shooting, we all got down and covered our heads.
4. Slang To exhaust, discourage, or depress someone: The awful heat was getting me down.
5. To swallow something: I got the pill down by taking it with a large glass of water.
6. To master something: I finally got my Latin vocabulary down, and I'm ready for the test.
7. To put something in written form; to write down: I couldn't get down her name before my pen broke. The teacher spoke so fast that the students couldn't get it all down.
8. get down to To begin putting effort into something: We need to get down to work.
9. get down to To begin focusing attention on something: Let's get down to the basic facts and find out what really happened.
10. Slang To lose one's inhibitions; enjoy oneself wholeheartedly: Let's just get down and enjoy the party.
11. Slang To start dancing with great gusto and style: After they ate, the guests got down and boogied.
1. in. to lay one’s money on the table. (Gambling.) Get down, and let’s get going!
2. in. to concentrate; to do something well. Come on, Sam, pay attention. Get down and learn this stuff.
3. in. to copulate. All Steve wants to do is get down all the time.
4. in. to dance. Whenever I hear that band, I really want to get down.