Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. verb, rude slang To ruin or damage something; to mess up something. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "up." The threat of a hurricane really fucked up our vacation plans! Boy, you really fucked this engine up. When was the last time you got your oil changed? I fucked up my knee in practice last night so I won't be able to play on Saturday.
2. verb, rude slang To make a mistake; to mess up. I think I fucked up by putting it in the oven too soon. You fucked up, Dave. Just admit and we can all move on.
3. verb, rude slang To fail or malfunction. The printer fucked up last night so I still haven't printed my report.
4. noun, rude slang A person who is a complete failure or rarely does anything right. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated. I admit that after college I was kind of a fuck-up. I finally got my act together in my thirties, though.
5. noun, rude slang A mistake. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated. It was one little fuck-up, and I got kicked out of school. It's so unfair. This is not just a fuck-up, Brad—this could ruin your whole life!
6. verb, rude slang To physically assault or strike someone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "up." The captain of the football team said he'd fuck me up if he caught me talking to his girlfriend again.
1. rude slang Ruined or damaged; messed up. In this usage, a noun of pronoun can be used between "fuck" and "up." Our vacation plans got completely fucked up by the hurricane. I can't use it—it's completely fucked up beyond repair. I think Gene's abusive upbringing really fucked him up.
2. rude slang Heavily intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. You guys were really fucked up at the party last night. Do you remember anything at all?
3. rude slang Depraved or extremely unseemly. That horror movie was fucked up. What kind of sicko comes up with that stuff? The way Ray ended that relationship was fucked up. You don't just ghost someone you've been dating for a year.
mod. messed up; confused; ruined. (Taboo. Usually objectionable.) This whole project is so fucked up, it’ll take months to straighten out.